Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Users are reminded of the forum rules they sign up to which prohibits any activity that violates any laws including posting material covered by copyright

Synthmaker bundle

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Synthmaker bundle

Postby k brown » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:22 am

I just let them know - we'll see.

In the meantime here's one that wasn't in the original Bundle because it wasn't finished yet. Inspired initially by the DIY hardware synth, Goom. It had an interesting signal path, but no LFO! So I expanded it to three oscillators and gave it two freely assignable LFOs (one through the mod wheel) and two freely assignable Mod EGs. I implemented the oscillators as my favorite three-control multiwave (blendable Sine/Tri/Peak/Saw/Pulse). The filter is CS-80-style HP in series with LP (2 or 4-pole), with dedicated IL/AL/A/D/R envelope. I call it TriGoom.

Since the name Goom was clearly a wink at Moog, I did this up in minimoog-style livery (no, it doesn't SOUND like a minimoog!!, OK?

TriGoom_copy.jpg
TriGoom_copy.jpg (73.08 KiB) Viewed 23250 times

And some info on Goom:
Goom info.pdf.zip
(542.17 KiB) Downloaded 886 times
Last edited by k brown on Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby Cruba » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:33 am

Can't wait to test the Gaia thingy... :ugeek:
Cruba

Postby k brown » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:23 pm

Don't get your hopes up too high - Cronus is a very simplified and incomplete approximation of Gaia - no sequencer, apr, layering, splits, etc. - just most of it's basic synth voice architecture.
k brown

Postby k brown » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:26 am

Regarding Spogg's question a while back about have I done a 'dream synth' - the closest I've come I suppose is this one I just finished tidying up. It's certainly not 'all my own', but rather based on a daydream of a Yamaha that combined most of the features of several CS-series synths. The mighty CS-80 was mighty because of it's truly polyphonic touch response and plethora of performance controls; it's basic synthesis abilities were surpassed by most of the other CS synths, especially the monophonic ones like CS-15 and CS-30.
So, the idea was to do a plugin that combined many features of CS-30, CS-15 and CS-80 in a CS-80-style panel layout.

Therefore CS-358 :

CS-358_copy.jpg
CS-358_copy.jpg (92.9 KiB) Viewed 23139 times
Last edited by k brown on Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
k brown

Postby Spogg » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:32 am

Hi and apologies for my delay in getting back to this topic. Real life you know, just gets in the way sometimes :lol:

Regarding presets: I like both methods that you demo. I can see pros and cons for both:

The button to show the preset manager is nice but would need to be graphically tailored to each synth. Another con is that it then becomes a chore to tweak any overlayed controls while paging through presets. Not a big con though.

The bar for presets is nicer to use but the con is that it modifies the overall look of the front panel, and this is a major "selling point" of your synths; they look great!

Just an idea but I note you always include the "Made with Synth|Maker logo. Maybe this could be turned into a button that bought up the preset manager...? I would suggest you change the Manager's background colour to orange or something that pops into view more visibly. As regard where to place the manager that's more to do with the layout but you could simply put it very close to its button to reduce a lot of mousing about.

BTW I love your dream synth!

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:35 am

Thanks for the input. I have to admit I'm not getting on at all well with the SM Preset Manager. I thought I followed your instructions, but I can't get the saved presets to be unalterable by the user. It also sometimes doesn't re-load all the controls settings, even though if I save the same preset as an .fxp using vstHost, it reloads the preset properly !?

Glad you like CS-358 - it's pretty deep; a lot more going on than it seems at first glance. Re-download it - I just realized I mislabeled the button at bottom left "Bend Wheel" - should be "Mod Wheel"; I corrected it. I also included in the folder the CS-30 and CS-15 manuals - could be helpful.
k brown

Postby Spogg » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:01 pm

I'll gladly look into your preset manager issues. Could you upload or tell me which one you've had problems with in terms of DAW and presets? I can also check if it's a SM issue that doesn't happen with Flowstone.

Have you considered buying a license for Flowstone? The transition is easy, the main difference is the toolbox system but you get the latest versions of prims and all the Ruby stuff. The MIDI modules for Flowstone have been significantly improved for example. To use an OSM in Flowstone you just rename the file extension to .fsm and say yes to modifying the schematic to stage 2 if asked, when opening in Flowstone.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:25 pm

I just simply can't justify spending $100 on this stuff. Zero spouse approval on that!

The worst preset behaviour was on Synthy P - several pins don't go back to where they are supposed to be in preset.
k brown

Postby Spogg » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:58 pm

Well I’ve tested the Synthy P dll as uploaded, in Reaper, and it seems to work as I would expect with regards to preset handling.

If you edit a preset, select a different one, then go back to the originally edited one, the factory (embedded) preset is restored without showing the previous edits (Lock is set to true).

If you edit a preset then save the Reaper project, the edited values are restored when the song is re-opened. This is because the DAW is saving the current VST state along with the song file. In this situation if you want to restore the original factory preset you can either load the preset in the plugin GUI or, in Reaper, go to the Reaper preset menu and select Restore to Factory Default. Both actions result in getting back to the factory embedded preset, and any previous edits are lost.

I also had no problems with the pin-board being retained and restored as above. Are there specific pins which exhibit the issue?

If this doesn’t get you to where you want maybe you could create an exact workflow list of actions, so I can try to reproduce the issue on my system, or analyse what may be a wrong assumption.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:42 pm

Well, that's good to hear - I think maybe it's just vstHost that just doesn't see eye2eye with Mr. Preset Manager!

Re-download CS-358 - I've re-done the panel with the name text burned-in as an image (so the unusual font appears correctly on any computer), and made most of the mod selects with larger, clearer text. Also removed the Brilliance I/I+II/II selector and added the global Reo slider, like CS-80 had. See revised image in earlier post.

Also made corrections to Synthy P and Synthy P_2eg - the EGs weren't being triggered by the sLFO correctly.
k brown

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples